Great Reads "Grows Up" brings you great books that are not suitable for younger readers- Nora Roberts, Jilly Cooper, Alice Sebold and more.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Riders" by Jilly Cooper

I should start off this review by saying I'm no prude. I've read Nora Roberts, Danielle Steele...but neither of them can hold a candle to Jilly Cooper when it comes to writing sex. I think it's the difference in cultures. The sex is frank and honest, not flowery and romantic. The characters take what they want, don't care who they hurt, and yet I still read all 900+ pages of it.

"Riders" centers around several Brit horse riders- dashing but exceedingly arrogant Rupert Campbell-Black, his good guy best friend Billy, Jake- who hates Rupert with a passion and the women that surround them and love them. The book follows them over several years and competitions and chiefly surrounds Rupert and Jake. I can't say that I really liked either of them, particularly Rupert who is so mean to the woman he marries, bordering on verbal abuse. Jake is better than Rupert, but still has an affair on his loving, supportive wife (though at least he does feel bad about it in the end). But despite their cavalier attitudes toward sex, I did find them to be interesting characters. I kept waiting for Rupert's change, but never got one. I wanted him to be redeemed, but instead he got what he deserved (though not enough punishment in my opinion). The story ends on a more romantic note, and I just discovered that there are five sequels to this book. I can't say for sure that I'll read them, but I wouldn't be surprised to find myself hunting a couple of them down just to find out what happens- does Rupert finally get redeemed by true love? That's a book I'd like to read.

If you like sexy beach reads, this definitely ranks up there with the best of the genre. Be warned, though. The talk of sex is blunt, and definitely rated "R" for language.

No comments: